Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Case of the Stolen Birthday Beers

Yesterday (in my time zone) was my birthday. It started out well enough in that all the problems of the week had since been fixed and things were progressing. In NZ, I had bought three beers that I planned to drink on my birthday, a North Coast Old Rasputin, a Green Flash West Coast IPA, and a Bear Republic Racer 5. All excellent beers and I had been looking forward to enjoying them since I first got on the ice.

So friday night, after dinner, I go into my room and grab the beers. I open the Old Rasputin and put the other two in the leftover fridge in the galley. I sit in the galley with some friends and colleagues and enjoy my beer. Also on friday night, but no less important, was the Barn Dance. I promised I would bartend during the dance so I headed down to set up the bar. After 15 or so minutes, I went back upstairs to grab my other beers but much to my dismay they were gone. Vanished. I looked around the fridge, moving aside the old roast beef and mac n cheese but alas, it was apparent that some vile creature had absconded with my beers. I frantically retrace my steps, warning all that I meet that there is a beer bandit on the loose. I go to the B1 lounge, which I like to describe: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." They had not seen my beer, and they were disgusted that someone would take them. I walked out to summer camp and the smokers lounge. I interrupted the replay of the Steelers game. Tebow couldn't save whoever stole my beer.

Eventually, I was convinced to let it go--after all, there's nowhere the thief can go--so I went back to the Barn Dance and continued to bartend. It was actually a great time. They had a live band with a fiddle, banjo, guitar, and bass. The fiddle player, Ed, is really amazing. It was so much fun to listen to and really made me forget about the beer bandit.

I ended up having a fun birthday despite the thievery.

The next day, I got a call that my beers have been spotted sitting in the hallway across from the greenhouse. They left a note, although I don't know why they didn't reclaim the beers for me, but eventually the perpetrator got the note and returned the beers. She gave me guff about putting things in public spaces. I didn't expect I would have to lock down everything I leave around station, but good point beer thief. Real showing of character, taking things that clearly aren't yours just because they are in a public space and unlabeled. I think I'll walk around station taking things that clearly don't belong to me and then blaming others for enabling my kleptomania. See that hat, I like it. I'll take it even though I didn't bring it down here or buy it in the store. That lounge chair in the tv lounge? I think it would look better in my room. I'll take it because it's in a public space and not labeled. I'm still so friggin mad. I'm glad I got the beers back, but who steals beer? Honestly?

No comments:

Post a Comment